Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 12:08:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for diagnosing lockups

:
:Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com> types:
:>     I also recommend using 4.2-Stable rather then 4.2-Release.  4.2-Release
:>     has a number of bugs and security holes relative to stable.
:
:I upgraded to -Stable before sending the question, hoping that would
:solve the problem. I recall there being some strange problems with the
:ahc drivers in current about the time that 4.2-RELEASE, and thought
:this might be related.
:
:	<mike

    I dunno. I think we won't know until you manage to get the broken
    into DDB.  From there you should be able to do a 'trace' and a 'ps'
    to hopefully see where things have locked up.  If you have setup a
    dump device & swap, you should also be able to 'panic' the kernel from DDB
    and get a core dump.

						-Matt