Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:58:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus.tfs.net>
To:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steve Kargl)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: file disappeared?

In reply:
> Can VFS_STATFS return a value that indicates whether a file system
> is mounted?  If so, it would seem logical to have fsck check the status.
>
> status = VFS_STATFS(mp, sbp, p);
> if (status & MOUNTED)
>    perror("file system mounted");

I am saying this without having looked at the code first, but I
believe that it is already impossible to umount a filesystem with any
OPEN files on it: "filesystem in use".  Assuming that all of the
buffers are flushed upon close, the only thing you really should get
is a clean flag problem, as would happen in a crash on a filesystem
with no open files.

It looks more like he crashed to me, but then something could be
munged up in the code.

is softupdates on?

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or