Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2000 15:35:21 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: looking for cdrom that writes for FreeBSD

> Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 14:55:34 -0700
> From: Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I haven't seen anything equivalent to DirectCD, which assumes you
> could "cp something /dev/acd0c" (the CDROM IDE device). That doesn't
> mean it doesn't exist. I haven't looked. I've never seen anything
> really complicated that you simply copy to a device and don't have any
> idea if such a program exists.

It does not exist (yet). DirtectCD writes using a different file
system developed for writable CDs and DVDs. It understands limits on
how these beasts must write. This means support for this file system
(UDF) needs to be written for FreeBSD. It is brought up from time to
time, but it's not been done, yet.

The last message I saw was that someone was going to dedicate some
time to writing it, but I don't know just when it will show up.

Even if I can't write UDF disks (and I don't have a CD-RW on my
FreeBSD box), I'd love to at least be able to read them!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)