Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 1996 17:20:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Keith Leonard <keithl@gil.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports??

Howdy,

It seems that every time I want to get something from the port collection
(ok not everytime - I have gotten 1 port to work) the 'make' or 'make
install' bombs because of some file missing (usually in the X
directories). My original installation was the Kern Developers package
from the install menu.

Every time it bombs I try to trace down the missing files and copy them
from the 'live' disk (enmass from the missing subdirectory). But it just
doesn't seem to help - the process bombs somewhere else.

The ports I have been trying to get are:
emacs - why do I need X to run this?
apsfilter - ok X for ghostscript ,for fonts ,for ......
ghostscript - ?
Xfree86 (maybe not the name but you know what I mean)

I have copied over the entire X11 subdirectory and any files that the
errors mention (too numereous to enumerate - so don't give me any hassle)

This is getting tedious to say the least. Do I just need to wipe the
whole thing clean (with 2 months of work) and reinstall the second option
- Xfree + all source??? My HD is filling up with files I don't want and
space is getting cramped. I would just like a nice stable system to do
some basic text processing not an X environment.

The only port I've been sucessful at is 'joe' - Everything else seems to
need X. WHY?

Keith
keithl@gil.net