Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2013 04:47:44 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Mike." <the.lists@mgm51.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-update?

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 22:32:17 -0400, Mike. wrote:
> If uname -r [-a] does not give the proper version of the OS, then it is
> either a bug, or the documentation for uname should be changed.
> Currently, the man page for uname gives the following option:
>
> -r      Write the current release level of the operating system to
> stan-
> 	     dard output.

Also the manpage of uname(3) would require a change to make clear
that the version of the _kernel_ is provided, which _may_ stay the
same during patchlevels of a given version. From that point of
view, if we consider the patchlevel _not_ being part of the OS
_version_, the statement (as it currently reads) makes sense.
The understanding is: Version 9.1 is the OS version, and if
a patch has been added, it's still 9.1 (even though the more
precise information is 9.1-p5 for example). Similarly consider
followint -STABLE: in this case, 9-STABLE or 9.1-STABLE is being
reported, because no "precise" version numbers exist on that
branch (at least not in the terms of patchlevels, instead a
repository revision number or the date of the checkout could
be considered for precision).

The uname program relies on the uname system call to get the
system identification, which queries the information stored in a
(struct utsname *) data structure:

     The uname() function stores NUL-terminated strings of information identi-
     fying the current system into the structure referenced by name.

     The utsname structure is defined in the <sys/utsname.h> header file, and
     contains the following members:

           release       Release level of the operating system.

           version       Version level of the operating system.

This part of documentation would, given the case, also require
adjustment, refering to the kernel instead of the OS.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany