Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:16:04 +0200
From:      Marc Olzheim <marcolz@stack.nl>
To:        Aaron Summers <aaronsummers@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SuperMicro X5DP8-G2MB/(2)XEON 2.4/1GB RAM 5.4-S Freeze

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 10:12:32PM -0400, Aaron Summers wrote:
> We have a SuperMicro X5DP8-G2 Motherboard, 2xXEON 2.4, 1GB RAM server
> running 5.4-STABLE that keeps freezing up.  We have replaced RAM, HD,
> SCSI controller, etc.  To no avail.  We are running SMP GENERIC
> Kernel.  I cannot get the system to panic, leave a core dump, etc.  It
> just always freezes.  The server functions as a web server in a
> HSphere Cluster.  I am about out of options besides loading 4.11
> (since our 4 series servers never die).  Any help, feedback, clues,
> similar experiences, etc would be greatly appreciated.
>=20
> On SCSI:  The onboard Adaptec 7902 gives a dump on bootup but appears
> to work.  I read the archived post about this issue.  The system still
> locked up with an Adaptec 7982B that did not give this message.

We've got exactly the same, but then with the X5DPR-IG2+/X5DPR-8G2+.
I've got about 25-30 running FreeBSD 4.6 - 4.11 running perfectly
stable, but the 3 that I installed 5.x on, (currently all 5.4-STABLE),
keep on hanging themselves up completely, even with no read load on
them, within a week.

CPUs range from 3.06 to 3.2 GHz, all of them have 4x1GB DIMMs, and
3 SEAGATE ST3146807LC 0007's...

I tried updating the BIOSes as well, with both a standard BIOS and one
given to us bh supermicro preconfigured fro com-console, so I could
flashed them with a remotely booted DOS floppy over com-console. :-)

Another thing I noticed: motherboard versions from before 2005 do not
detect sio0 on the right place: port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on acpi0 (the
normal place for sio1), resulting in loader/kernel comconsole going to
the right port and the userland comconsole going to the wrong port...

This problem does not occur on newer versions of the servers...

Marc

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD--