Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:46:40 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        "bsdnewbie bsdnewbie" <bsdnewbie@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: _perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

On 8/27/00, 7:29:08 PM, "bsdnewbie bsdnewbie" <bsdnewbie@hotmail.com>=20
wrote regarding _perl: warning: Setting locale failed.:

> After I added some ports to my FreeBSD box, many command such as=20
"rmuser" &
> "which" will dispaly some warning message such as:
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>       LC_ALL=3D(unset).
>       LC_CTYPE =3D "en_US",
>       LANG =3D (unset)
>     are supported and installed on your system.
> perl: warning: Falling bck tothe standard locale ("C").

> What is the matter?  How to disable them?  Thanks in advance.

Dear Bsdnewbie,

in your shell startup file(s), you may wish to set those variables to=20
the appropriate values.

As an "English" user, I have -- "experimentally" -- set the following=20
(I use the tcsh shell): =20

setenv LC_ALL en_US.ISO_8859-1
setenv LC_CTYPE en_US.ISO_8859-1
setenv LANG en_US.ISO_8859-1
setenv MM_CHARSET ISO-8859-1

I am not sure these are the best (or more correct) settings; actually,=20
I have not (yet) bothered to fine-tune the locale settings, either.

However, I no longer receive any complaints ...

Best regards,
Salvo