Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:51:19 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nessus says open relaying?

--wULyF7TL5taEdwHz

Richard E. Hawkins wrote:

> I just checked my system with nessus, and one of the reports is that
>=20
>   smtp (25/tcp) INFO The remote SMTP server allows the relaying. This mea=
ns that
> it allows spammers to use your mail server to send their mails to
> the world, thus wasting your network bandwidth.
>=20
> Is this saying that my machine (and I suppose every other stock 4.0 machi=
ne)
> is an open relay?  Or am I misreading this?

If you check your own machine, I don't know how nessus can tell.
For a good mail relay check, just to "telnet mail-abuse.org".  The
mail-abuse.org system will run a check on the system you are connecting
from and show you the results (you don't have to log in as anything
special, it just starts straight away).  I think that's the right way,
if that doesn't work, you should be able to find a web interface to it
somewhere off <http://www.mail-abuse.org/>.

--=20
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D

--wULyF7TL5taEdwHz