Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2020 17:01:57 +0000
From:      Shamim Shahriar <shamim.shahriar@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: disabling "weak" algorithms in sshd

Okay, I added the following changes to /etc/ssh/sshd_config
Ciphers chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com,aes256-gcm@openssh.com,
aes128-gcm@openssh.com,aes256-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes128-ctr
MACs hmac-sha2-256-etm@openssh.com,hmac-sha2-512-etm@openssh.com,
umac-128-etm@openssh.com
KexAlgorithms curve25519-sha256@libssh.org
,diffie-hellman-group18-sha512,diffie-hellman-group16-sha512,diffie-hellman-group14-sha256

and then restarted the ssh daemon

The output for ssh -Q ciphers or ssh -Q mac was identical before and after.

Also, Nessus/Tenable is still complaining.

Nessus negotiated the following encryption algorithm with the server :

The server supports the following options for kex_algorithms :

curve25519-sha256@libssh.org
diffie-hellman-group14-sha256
diffie-hellman-group16-sha512
diffie-hellman-group18-sha512

The server supports the following options for server_host_key_algorithms :

ecdsa-sha2-nistp256
rsa-sha2-256
rsa-sha2-512
ssh-ed25519
ssh-rsa

The server supports the following options for
encryption_algorithms_client_to_server :

aes128-ctr
aes128-gcm@openssh.com
aes192-ctr
aes256-ctr
aes256-gcm@openssh.com
chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com
none

The server supports the following options for
encryption_algorithms_server_to_client :

aes128-ctr
aes128-gcm@openssh.com
aes192-ctr
aes256-ctr
aes256-gcm@openssh.com
chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com
none

The server supports the following options for
mac_algorithms_client_to_server :

hmac-sha2-256-etm@openssh.com
hmac-sha2-512-etm@openssh.com
umac-128-etm@openssh.com

The server supports the following options for
mac_algorithms_server_to_client :

hmac-sha2-256-etm@openssh.com
hmac-sha2-512-etm@openssh.com
umac-128-etm@openssh.com

The server supports the following options for
compression_algorithms_client_to_server :

none
zlib@openssh.com

The server supports the following options for
compression_algorithms_server_to_client :

none
zlib@openssh.com

Based on that, I can only assume either the sshd_config file I am updating
is not the one in use, or I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for your suggestions and recommendations

Kind regards
SK