Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:07:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   unique routing problem

Hi,

I've got a unique routing problem:

local network is 192.168.1.0/24

             192.168.1.4

192.168.1.1 -- ethernet -- 192.168.1.2 / global IP addr -- internet

             192.168.1.3

now, the rules:

1) .1 may directly exchange packets with .4 and .2 only, it may not
   exchange packets with .3 directly.

2) .2 may directly exchange packets with any host

3) .2 acts as the gateway to the internet

the problem is that I need to be able to set up the routing tables so
that if .1 needs to connect to .3 that it goes through .2.  If it
needs to connect to .4 or .2 it can do that directly.  To make things
even more fun, any number of hosts may join or leave the network at
any point and the lists of which hosts have direct connectivity is
dynamic.  But I think that if I can solve the above problem that I'll
have what I need to solve the rest of it.

I have a solution that uses Linux, but I'm reasonably certain that it
really uses a flaw in the Linux kernel to work as it's dicey to set
up, requires a specific order of steps and requires a reboot when
things like the hosts IP address changes.

BTW, If anyone that can answer this needs a job or contract please let
me know...

thanks,
dave c

--
Dave Cornejo @ Dogwood Media, Fremont, California (also dcornejo@ieee.org)
  "There aren't any monkeys chasing us..." - Xochi