Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2012 08:23:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS-UP] BSD sort is the default sort in -CURRENT

=0A=0A--- Mer 27/6/12, Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org> ha scritto:=0A...=0A=
> =0A> Nope.=0A> =0A> > I would think only the maintainer of the package ha=
s=0A> the=0A> > authority to make any request in the lines of being=0A> > b=
ug-for-bug compatible=0A> =0A> You have a seriously wrong idea of "maintain=
er." The=0A> community owns the software, it's up to the community=0A> to d=
ecide how it should work.=0A=0AYou have a serious wrong idea of ownership. =
No one really=0Aowns the code and only few people actually take the time=0A=
to take care of it.=0A=0A> Historically we have looked at the maintainer as=
 the person=0A> who volunteers to take care of code, not the person who has=
=0A> the exclusive lock on it.=0A> =0A=0AThe maintainer, in this context, d=
oesn't have to be a committer=0Abut it has to be someone that spends time f=
ixing bugs or=0Aenhancing the code. You might think that because you use th=
e=0Acode and are used to certain bug that you depend on that you=0Asomehow =
have a say on how it shall behave in the future but that=0Ais simply an ill=
usion.=0A=0A=0A> > and in the case of GNU sort and=0A> > GNU grep they are =
both unmaintained and replacements=0A> > are welcome.=0A> =0A> Actually bot=
h are maintained, it's just that we don't want=0A> to import the new GNU ve=
rsions.=0A=0AOur forks of such packages are unmaintained. I did the work=0A=
(TM) of updating GNU sort and no one cared to commit it.=0AOleg, took as re=
ference the latest upstream sort=0Aimplementation.=0A=0A> And yes, having B=
SD versions of these core tools is a=0A> nice goal, but it's not one we sho=
uld pursue for its own=0A> sake.=0A> =0A=0AHaving something that we can mai=
ntain is a goal we should=0Apursue for it's own sake.=0A=0A> > Please let's=
 stop being an obstacle towards people=0A> > bringing real progress to Free=
BSD!=0A> =0A> In the case of grep, there were a fairly large number of=0A> =
people who agreed that a BSD grep with orders of magnitude=0A> worse perfor=
mance than the previous version was not=0A> something we, as a project, wer=
e willing to=0A> stomach. Sufficiently such that the default was switched=
=0A> back.=0A> =0A=0APerformance was an issue and in general it was a good=
=0Adecision that even the coder involved agreed upon. Once=0Athe issue is w=
ithin acceptable limits, and there has been=0Aprogress on this as I underst=
and, BSD grep will be=0Aback.=0A=0ADon't expect BSD grep to support somethi=
ng different than=0Aposix behaviour though.=0A=0A> So can we please stop pr=
etending that it's me who's the=0A> problem, and start looking at these thi=
ngs rationally?=0A> =0A=0AHow about rationally pointing out your issues wit=
h the new=0ABSD sort? Any regression that you want to report?=0A=0APedro.