Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:50:58 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        keneasson <keneasson@zoho.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serious problems updating Current after switching to libxul.

--------------enig6FA97B376E6F57F4405C2C5F

keneasson wrote:

>=20
> Can anyone help me get my system back up and running?
>=20
> make.conf looks like this:
> WITH_MYSQL_VER=3D51
> APACHE_VERSION=3D22
> OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=3Df8
> WWWDIR =3D /web/phpmyadmin
> WITH_CUPS=3D"yes"
> CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=3Dtrue
> #NO_LPR=3Dtrue
> USE_GECKO=3Dlibxul

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is your problem.  You want to say:

  WITH_GECKO=3Dlibxul

here.

> # Begin portconf settings
> # Do not touch these lines
> .if !empty(.CURDIR:M/usr/ports*) &amp;&amp; exists(/usr/local/libexec/p=
ortconf)
> _PORTCONF!=3D/usr/local/libexec/portconf
> .for i in ${_PORTCONF:S/|/ /g}
> ${i:S/%/ /g}
> .endfor
> .endif
> # End portconf settings
> # added by use.perl 2009-09-19 16:22:20
> PERL_VERSION=3D5.10.1

In general, you *never* add any USE_FOO flags to /etc/make.conf -- USE_FO=
is designed for use by port maintainers inside the limited scope of=20
port-specific Makefiles: the presence of a USE_FOO setting in scope
generally does dramatic things like adding dependencies on whole
software subsystems.  Your 'USE_GECKO' setting in /etc/make.conf (which h=
as
effect in the global scope) has made *every* port on your machine depend =
on=20
gecko related libraries.  It's not really surprising you're experiencing =
bit of brokenness.

Instead, you need a WITH_FOO flag.  WITH_FOO is designed for end users to=

tweak the way ports work in detail: they only have any effect in ports th=
at
are specifically written to take notice of them; everything else will jus=
t ignore them.  Even so, it's very common to use directory matching login=
 or,
as you have, things like PORTCONF to limit the application of a WITH_FOO
flag to a specific port.  The whole OPTIONS dialogue system is just a
front-end to setting WITH_FOO flags for a specific port.

Note: something that may cause a certain amount of astonishment to neophy=
te
users.  The opposite of saying:

WITH_FOO=3Dyes

is not:

WITH_FOO=3Dno   ### Don't do this.

but:

WITHOUT_FOO=3Dyes   ### Do this.

That's because the value of 'WITH_FOO' variables is not actually tested=20
anywhere, only whether the variable is defined or not.  Setting=20
WITH_FOO=3Dbananas would have exactly the same effect, as, indeed does=20
WITH_FOO=3Dno or WITH_FOO=3Dover_my_dead_body

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3