Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:09:47 -0800
From:      "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Jon Rust" <jpr@vcnet.com>
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions

"Jon Rust" <jpr@vcnet.com>
> My 2 choices:
>
>   1) Stripe and mirror. Gives 18G of storage, and best performance
> that still has protection against drive failure. Not the most
> efficient use of my drives, however.
>
>   2) RAID-5 all 4 of the drives in one volume. 27G of storage. Decent
> performance. But... stability of RAID-5 in vinum?

Make sure that RAID5 still meets your performance needs when rebuilding a
drive.  When we were deciding between RAID5 and RAID0+1 (on a hardware
SCSI-SCSI controller), most of the performance tests came out reasonably
close to each other - except when rebuilding a drive.  There, RAID0+1 took
a relatively minor hit, but RAID5 dropped our tps to 1/4 of the normal
amount, meaning we couldn't rebuild a drive during peak usage.

Later,
scott