Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 95 12:23:27 GMT
From:      "gj%pcs.dec.com@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com" <garyj@rks32.pcs.dec.com>
To:        chuckr%Glue.umd.edu@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Cc:        questions%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: Debugging

> I am trying to jazz up by debugging facilities here, on my 2.0R machine.
> I got hold of gdb-4.13 from prep.ai.mit.edu, and something I had
> recommended to me, ups (from a site in England, forget which).  In trying
> to build the new version of gdb, I found it doesn't know what FreeBSD is,
> although (by looking in the config.sub) it has entries for both Netbsd
> and 386bsd.  Does anyone happen to know if there is a better config.sub
> around, or maybe which might be a good substitute, netbsd or 386bsd?

I would suggest using the gdb from -current, it compiles "out-of-the-box"
and has some additional functionality like attach/detach and kernel debugging.
It's in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb on freefall.cdrom.com.

If you really want to use ups then grab the ups port from ftp.cdrom.com:
/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/ups-port.tgz. This has patches to stock gdb-4.13
to support FreeBSD (but the new features from gdb-current aren't supported).

ups won't work with the gdb from -current because it would require massive
munging of the perl scripts to get it to work and no-one has considered it
important enough to do this.

If you want to do this, then you're more than welcome to do so :)

Gary J.