Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2007 16:22:22 +0100
From:      "Michel, Dietmar" <Dietmar_Michel@bmc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RAID5 degraded - system hangs

Hi Guys,

=20

I=B4m using an older Server with FreeBSD 6.2 als Fileserver in my home =
office.

Now I made an upgrade using 4 SATA II disks connected to a promise =
TX4310 Raid controller.

Defining a RAID5 a bios level, starting the server and building up the =
Raid at OS level:

# atacontrol create RAID5 32 ad4 ad6 ad8 ad10

# bsdlable ...

# newfs ...

=20

And now I have a functional Raid named ar0.

=20

At boot time the bios told me that even at this level the raid in =
initializing - world seemed to be ok.

=20

Now I tried to prove Raid function and disconnect one disk.

Theoretical data is covered by the rest of 3 ... but after I get the =
system message that one disk has been disconnected the maschine stopps =
working.

Told me: ar0 raid 5 degarded after a fw minutes no input is possibble.=20

=20

=20

Even after reboot=20

ar0: disk0 Ready
ar0: disk1 Ready
ar0: disk2 Ready
ar0: disk3 down no device found

... end of work

=20

No single user mode or other starting option seemed to work.

I have no chance to rebuild the raid via atacontrol.

=20

Any hints?

Raid without reliability doesn=B4t make sense!

Regards

=20

  Dietmar=20