Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 23:18:41 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@theinternet.com.au>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@freebsd-services.com
Subject:   Re: Copyright Contradiction in libalias

From: Crist J. Clark <cristjc@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 11:40:20AM -0700

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 08:14:59AM -0500, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
> > So, if Microsoft
> > decides they want your software without the existing license (public domain)
> > you can relicense it to them for a fee under whatever terms you want, and
> > they must deal with you on it because of the copyright that you hold.
>
> No, they don't have to deal with you. MS can license code in the
> public domain however they like. They need not consult you at all.

But can someone that did not know about the `public domain' state of
the program accuse you, tha author, later on that you 'cheated' on
him, if you do ask for money when they come to you and ask that they
`buy' the source?

I am not a lawyer, and I am probably mistaken here, but if someone
wants to pay me for a program, even if the program has been released
by me to the public domain, I think I will not refuse their money.
Of course, being the stupid^W ethical guy I am, I will note that the
program is public domain, and if they still want to buy it, then I
won't refuse selling it.

-giorgos