Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 22:02:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        Phil R <t3xt@sympatico.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cannot burn a CD with burncd

On 24 Nov 2001, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org> writes:
>
> > You will need to
> > make an ISO image out of the files you want to burn before you can
> > actually burn them.
>
> I must be disagreeable again.  Here's my notes on a raw-file backup and
> verify which I did last January (using afio instead of tar):

Yes, of course that works. *But* most users seem to expect that the CDs
they burn can be mounted and read from, i.e., they expect their burned CDs
to hehave like "normal" CDs (if that makes sense, but I guess you know
what I mean). People tend to think that they can do

burncd data myfile.txt fixate

and then mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0c /mnt

and then less /mnt/myfile.txt

This does, however, not really work. So, while you *can* and while I do
put raw tar files (or whatever) onto CDs, most people that have been
asking burncd questions on this list were wondering why they cannot simply
burn all kinds of files onto a CD using burncd and then mount the CD and
read these files. I told these folks that they'd have to create an isofs
of their files first, *if* they want to mount and read their files.

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org