Date:      Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:53:56 -0400
From:      "J.R. Oldroyd" <fbsd@opal.com>
To:        lev@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stateless dhcp6 server for FreeBSD?

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 02:45:15 +0400, Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello, Freebsd-net.
>
>   Is here any stateless dhcp6 solution for FreeBSD?
>
>   I need only distribute IPv6 DNS server addresses to clients, but not
>  prefixes or address information.

DHCP is stateful.  If you want stateless, you need IPv6 RDNSS router
advertisements.

Just over a month ago on this list, I posted patches for IPv6 stateless
autoconfiguration of DNS information.  There are four parts to the patch:

	- changes to rtadvd to send the DNS info
	- changes to rtsold to receive it
	- a new script, resolvconf(8), to manage resolv.conf updates
	- changes to /sbin/dhclient-script to use resolvconf(8) (so
		that IPv4 DHCP and IPv6 RA info can co-exist)

These patches conform to RFC 6106.

Since you just want to send DNS info and not prefixes, you can use these
patches in rtadvd and just configure rdnss info and no prefix info.

The patches are here:

    http://opal.com/jr/freebsd/rdnss/

I've since filed a PR (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=156259)
to have this reviewed and committed.