Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:56:53 -0700
From:      "Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com>
To:        "'Peter Godman'" <pete@isilon.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: NewReno implementation questions.

You can find this in RFC 2581.  Duplicate acks are defined as acks
that are sent immediately upon receipt of out-of-order data, hence
implying that they are data-less (the Net/3 code back to Reno has
defined dupacks this way).  Then, fast retransmit is defined as:
"The fast retransmit algorithm uses the arrival of 3 duplicate ACKs
(4 identical ACKs without the arrival of any other intervening
packets) as an indication that a segment has been lost."  RFC 2582
for NewReno is based on 2581 with addition of "recover" and
partial ack handling.

However, in the FreeBSD code, the counter t_dupacks is also used
as a record of whether the sender entered and is leaving recovery
mode-- this causes problems such as the case you described.
Jeffrey Hsu has been working on a fix for the general problem of
overloading the t_dupacks counter like this.

Tom