Date:      01 Dec 1998 14:20:10 +0100
From:      Benedikt Stockebrand <bs_13923_55877@adimus.de>
To:        "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@chrisbowman.com>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Diskless Workstations

"Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com> writes:

> Of course this all ignores transaction overhead, packet overhead, inter packet
> space and realistic models of the latencies and bandwidths of the devices on
> the other end.  It is just a rough theoretical max throughput.

And a server usually serves multiple clients.  Even on a switched net
all this traffic has to go through a single 100 Mbps link between
switch and server.

This doesn't sound like a problem since most clients would spend
little of their time on disk/network I/O.  But as soon as some of them
start to swap over the net this is a pain in the behind for everyone...

So long,

    Ben

--
      Benedikt Stockebrand        Adimus Beratungsgesellschaft für System-
System Administration & Design,    und Netzwerkadministration mbH & Co KG