Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 1995 17:53:55 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Graphical installations and such

> Umm, I still consider myself involved in sysinstall. I'm a little
> peeved that I've been edged out actually since I did the original
> proof of concept of a dialog based single floppy installation and
> had and still do have every intention of continuing work on the
> project.

Well sorry, we didn't mean to edge you out, it's just that last time
we went through a group install hack what happened was a nightmare,
and we never quite got from you what was needed.  This has made Poul
and I very unwilling to make assumptions about what you are or aren't
going to do for the 2.1 install.  If you really do have a bunch of
things in mind and a SCHEDULE for getting them in that you'll do your
absolute best to stick to, then I'm overjoyed.  If you don't have the
time available, however, or don't know exactly what needs to be done,
then PLEASE don't commit yourself and leave us hanging at the last
minute! :-( Better to be honest at the outset and say that no, you
can't or won't do it.  We won't be offended, trust me!

Now, all that negative stuff aside, if you're really interested in
getting back in the thick of sysinstall for 2.1, then we MUST plan
what it's going to look like before you go off into some corner and
start hacking furiously.  We need to have a very clear picture of
EVERY screen and EVERY option on it, and how they all relate in the
global flow of the installation.  What we had for 2.0 was a miserable
hack that didn't know if it was coming or going sometimes, and this
was through lack of advance planning and some *group concensus* before
we all started coding it.  Can we not repeat this mistake for 2.1?
Please??

						Jordan