Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:45:42 -0700
From:      rs <raoul@sirius.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp -auto?

Hi,

I'm using FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE. I have set up user ppp with alias enable yes
so that the 3 machines on my little lan can get to the internet all at once.

I'm having some trouble with the -auto switch, though.

Whenever I issue the command

%ppp -auto

the modem dials immediately, even if neither of my client machines are
running netscape, a mail client, or anything else that might want to
connect to the internet. It also stays connected forever, even though I set
timeout=600 for 10 minutes.

As I understood it, ppp -ddial was supposed to maintain continuous
connections, not -auto.

I imagine I've just set something up wrong, but I can't figure out what.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

please cc me; I'm not subscribed to the list...