Date:      Thu, 05 May 2005 23:08:30 -0500
From:      Jonathan Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade regression?

--------------enigF93F54534BD422C0016A302D

On 05/05/05 08:40, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> On 2005.04.29 11:10:43 +0200, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
>
> [portupgrade regression in portupgrade-20041226_2]
>
>>I think I have found the way to fix this both so it works for
>>non-root, make pkgdb.db not be updated all the time, and so it does
>>not cause new security problems, but I need to work out a few quirks
>>(my first version did not work correctly).  Hopefully I will get it
>>working this weekend, if not I will add a bandaid so you can make it
>>work by setting an environment variable.
>
> OK, I think the attached patch should fix the issues so portversion
> works again as non-root and the package database is only regenerated
> when needed.
>
> I would appreciate if somebody could test the attached patch to
> minimize the risk that I have broken something else.

After applying the patch and updating, I set ENV['PKG_FIXME_FILE'] to
point to a location that is accessible to my normal user account.  After
some basic testing I haven't noticed any poor behavior.  Looks like this
works as advertised...

Thanks!

--
Jonathan Noack | noackjr@alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195