Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 20:41:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike <mike@seidata.com>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HTTPD Question

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Brian Handy wrote:

> So, when I get something like this in my logs, what do you think it
> means?

It seems to mean someone is attempting to exploit phf on your system.
One popular phf "exploit" involves catting the password file to one's
browser.  This is nothing to worry about if you don't have phf on your
system (the error messages you posted said you didn't).  Of course, the
same guy that attempted to exploit phf on your system may be trying other
things as well...  I would suggest either uncommenting the lines in your
access.conf file that forward these requests to http://phf.apache.org or
looking into a script that logs these instances, trys to query for
information about the attacker and mails the results to root (just search
for 'phf' on the web - there are a couple different scripts like this out
there).

---
 Mike Hoskins                           Kettering University
 SEI Data Network Services, Inc.        CS/CE Major Program
 mike@seidata.com                       hosk0094@kettering.edu
 http://www.seidata.com                 http://www.kettering.edu