Date:      08 Apr 2003 12:04:58 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fontconfig-2.1.92 considered harmful

--=-uaTipTfCxtCI8KyNkpBt

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 08:41, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> I have been unlucky to try to do a major update of all
> of my ports, including upgrading XFree86 to version 4.3,
> on my 5.0-CURRENT notebook.
>=20
> The update went fine except things like xclock(1) now
> angry and eat all system memory and are eventually get
> killed due to the ``out of swap space'' bug ;-).
>=20
> I've tracked it down to the update of fontconfig port
> to version 2.1.92.  Reverting to fontconfig-2.1_7 made
> the symptoms go away.
>=20
> This was a standard install of XFree86-4, with the
> xf86config(1) generated config file.

You're the only one that thinks 2.1.92 is worse that 2.1 :-).  I thought
2.1.92 was going to be a silver bullet for most of the reported font
problems.  I have heard reports of this problem, but every other user
said the problem exists in 2.1 as well.  I've read this whole thread,
and I'd like feedback on what das mentioned (i.e. upgrade to -CURRENT
from today and make sure it's still broken).  Also, I'd like to see if
what Dan Nelson suggested works (i.e. running fc-cache -v -f as root
fixes it).

If it's still broken, what LANG are you using?  What fonts do you have
installed?  Can you setenv FC_DEBUG to 1023, then send me the output
after running xclock?

Joe

>=20
>=20