Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:09:54 -0700
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bko@idiom.com>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: substitute for the Linux "free" command

In localhost.freebsd.emulation, you wrote:
> I have a Linux binary that I would like to try out.  When I launch it, I
> get the following:
>
> sh: free: command not found
>
> This is from the binary itself, not a shell script.  I believe there is
> a program on Linux systems called free, which checks available memory.
> I am surprised it is not in the linux_base port.  How can I work around
> this?

One possibility would be to grabb thr appropriate RPM from
www.rpmfind.org (which *should* allow you to search for free and find
which RPM it's in).  If you know which linux_base you're using, you
should be able to determine which RPM to use (I believe the stock
linux_base is 7.1, while there is also linux_base_6, which is 6.2 and
used to be the std).

--
bryan k ogawa  <bko@unobvious.com>   http://www.unobvious.com/