Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 14:45:40 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Anyone know about Cisco "PPP" encapsulation?

We have come across the following  Probably not uncommon
setup. According to the telco, (AT&T) it looks like:

Cisco7500 ---(aal5)-----[ATM CLOUD]-----switch---(ppp)--ciscoXXXX

it seems that the edge device takes the AAL SNAP encapsulated
IP packet and reencapsulates it with some PPP variant.

I want to replace the CISCOXXXX with a FreeBSD box, but
I'm having difficulty in figuring out EXACTLY what is going on.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?
(specifically and AT&T types out there that actually know wnat they are
talking about , (as opposed to the guy I just spoke to).