Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2019 17:37:08 -0700
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, x11@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: drm-current-kmod now installs sources

On 8/16/19 2:51 PM, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>> On 8/14/19 3:40 PM, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>>> I've lost the original thread, but would the sources in /usr/local/sys/modules get built regardless of what MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is?  And, now that sources may be installed by a port, what is the method for _just_ updating the sources?  Why do I even need to build and install the port?  Personally, I would just rather have the drm-kmod sources just imported into base and maintained there.  If I have 2 or more different checked out base src trees, how do I get the correct drm-kmod to go with them if there is only one /usr/local/sys/modules?  Do I need multiple port trees just to pull in out of tree module sources?
>>
>> In some ways, installing sources for DRM is a compromise for the fact that we
>> can't have DRM in the base source anymore (for various reasons).  However,
>> virtualbox is also probably in that camp as well.
>
> I applaud this effort to provide a source compile mode for DRM,
> but I think it has come up a bit short on execution with numorious
> problems sited.

Do you have a reported problem vs a theoretical problem?  The
only reported problem I've seen is that LOCAL_MODULES="" doesn't
work.  That and Cy reported a build error from a recent commit to
head due to LOCAL_MODULES working as intended.

> I too am not real happy that /usr/local/src is going to get
> automatically invoked from my some odd 10+ src trees that
> are of various WIP's.  I need a way to easily disable this
> both on a global scale, and on a per src tree way.

Modulo the LOCAL_MODULES="" not working (you have to just use
LOCAL_MODULES=) this already exists.  You can set it in
/etc/src.conf, in a kernel config, or on the command line.

> Rather than a default to on with an opt out mechanism perhaps
> while we gain experience change this to a default to off with
> an opt in mechanism?

It's head, not stable.  We can't gain experience with something
that isn't turned on.

--
John Baldwin