Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 19:29:26 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org (Kris Kennaway)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFilter not free software?

> From: kris@obsecurity.org (Kris Kennaway)
> Date: Fri 1 Jun, 2001
> Subject: Re: IPFilter not free software?

> The FTP binary contains UCB copyright notices so we know it does (it's
> a straight port of the old BSD ftp client):

It was originally BSD ftp, but that's not what Microsoft started with,
see below.

> > strings FTP.EXE | grep "University of California"
> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.

  $ strings FTP.EXE | grep -C3 TLI
  @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
   All rights reserved.
  %1:TLOOK returned %2!d!%0
  %1:TLI Error %2!d!
  poll failed%0
  Timeout occurred
  t_look returned %1!d!

Don't ask me how they managed to leave _that_ code in (they didn't have
TLI to compile it against, and it wasn't even compiled for most of the
original vendor's ports; they probably didn't use -DNO_TLI and instead
"borrowed" the TLI headers from a nearby System V box...)!

The product which they ported to Windows NT was a STREAMS implementation,
and STREAMS remained in NT at least through to 4.0 though they replaced
the TCP/IP implementation itself after they made a meal of fitting the
STREAMS implementation into the NT architecture.  The version of ftp
Microsoft started with worked only against the STREAMS TCP/IP implemen-
tation (though it had both sockets and TLI interfaces to TCP).

Likewise look at the slightly non-BSD command options to NETSTAT.EXE - I
wrote that utility for SVR3 from scratch early in my career as an interim
measure until we had a better set of STREAMS-based statistics/diagnostics
tools (I should have known better... ;-), so I didn't care much about
compatibility with the BSD implementation (my version used STREAMS ioctls
rather than grubbing around in kernel memory, had no routing table hooks
or sockets knowledge, and so on).

(It wasn't until I wondered about the non-standard netstat options in the
Windows 95 resource kit documentation and familiarity dawned on me that I
realised this stuff had spread beyond the early versions of NT!)

Oh, and the TCP/IP product documentation Microsoft bought _did_ acknowledge
UCB, though our core TCP/IP implementation derived from another source.

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses