Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:30:54 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to notify cvsup users?

As Mark Huizer wrote:

> Now that we want to get rid of cvsup and move those people to svn...
> Is there a way to somehow notify our users who mostly never check cvsup
> anyway of this? I doubt if they'd even notice their favorite cvsup
> server being turned off.

I remember I've seen readable reply messages in the output of
CVSup when something goes wrong on the server side, so they
are displayed in the logs.

Couldn't there just be a dummy CVSup server set up that starts
the initial handshake, and then replies with a failure message
that contains a URL explaining how to migrate to something
else?