Date:      22 Dec 2002 13:11:56 +0100
From:      Jukka Simila <home@jukkis.net>
To:        dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl
Cc:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Writing to ISO-images mounted as vnodes?

On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 23:06, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 10:13:10PM +0100, dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl wrote:
> > While I was thinking how to make a bootable DOS-CD (the floppies for
> > sale now just aren't as reliable as they used to be), I thought of the
> > following strategy:
> >
> >  - copy the ISO-image of my Win98 install-CD (AFAIK that's legal if you
> >    own the CD).
> >  - configure the image as a vnode (vnconfig).
> >  - mount the vnode (mount_cd9660).
> >  - remove the files that are not needed (the ones that install Win98)
> >    from the mounted vnode; just leaving a DOS boot-CD with just a little
> >    more useful utilities than would fit on a floppy...
> >
> > Unfortunately, mounting the vnode as cd9660 mounts it read-only, and
> > I couldn't find a way to mount it "rw" (-o rw doesn't seem to help).
>
> I was thinking about something similair a couple of weeks ago, to
> make it easy for me to arrange files on a cdrom ISO image. Unfortunatly
> the write-routines for the cd9660 driver are non-existent.
>
> Did sound nice, just create a 650Mb file, mount it, copy some files
> into it, unmount it and ready to burn.
>
> Edwin

What about the UDF support for FBSD? I really don't know what's the
status of that, but somehow I'd think it would be more sensible to
create an udf file instead of cd9660 - if I've understood correctly, udf
should support packet *writing* - therefore the random writing to a file
should be possible in some phase, right?

Just an idea that popped into my mind - someone else will need to polish
it :)

Regards

//Jukkis