Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 1996 10:36:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Mathis <mark@earth.mat.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installation of 2.1.5 problems

Hello all,
	For a little background, here is how this started. We have been
running freebsd 2.0.5 on this machine. basicly that worked fine except
for one problem, when external cache was inabled the system would crash
in anything from 5 minutes to an hour. When external cache was disabled
the machine was rock solid and would run until we brought it down manually.
	After doing some initail checking on the problem, I learned that
this is normaly due to bad memory, motherboard, etc.. I called my vendor
and bought another motherboard do that I could swap out each part until I
found the guilty party. The new motherboard ended up having the exact
same problems as the first one did.
	At this point, 2.1.5R came out, and in reading the blurb on it I
noticed that it had a number of memory fixes in it so I decided to try
that and see if it would fix my problem.
	I downloaded boot.flp and used dd to create an update disk, just
as I had done for version 2.0.5 which had worked fine with all the same
equipment. When I ran the program the machine booted up, did the normal
probing of the system, but as it went to run sysinstall the screen
scrolled up clearing the screen and then the cursor sat at the bottom
left of the screen and nothing happened from there. I thought the problem
might be with the pci svga card so I removed it and put in an isa svga
card. that had the exact same results.  I then took the disk to an OLD
386 machine that is a workstation here and booted up there to see if it
was just a bad disk.  It worked like a champ, the menu came up with no
problems. I then took the vga card out of the workstation and put it in
the new box knowing that it was compatible with the program, I got the
same result, scroll up and cursor at the bottom.  I even tried an old ttl
mono card, which still got the same result.  At this point I do not think
it is the display card that is causing the problem.
	I went into the bios setup and disabled everything in site to see
if that would help, to no avail.
	Here is a discription of the equipment involved:

		Spacewalker HOT-501 pentium PCI Motherboard
			INTEL 100 MHZ CPU
			INTEL i430FX PCIset chipset dated 94
			AWARD BIOS v4.50PG dated 95
			AWARD plug and play bios ext. v1.0A dated 95
		Buslogic BT-946C scsi adaptor
			bios version 4.92C
		Seagate ST51080N 1G HD
		Seagate ST15150N 4G HD
		CL543X PCI VGA
		NE2000 clone

	If anyone has a clue as to why I can't even get the menu up let
alone install 2.1.5, please let me know. I don't even have a clue as to
what to try next.

TIA

  /\	Mark Mathis	Micro Access Technologies  "Behind every successful
 /\/\	Mark@Mat.Net	PO Box 92224               cat is an obedient owner"
/\/\/\	202/529-5001	Washington, DC  20090