Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 1996 14:11:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Superuser <root@buffnet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   signal 11

Im having troubles with 2.1R with apache 1.0.0 and 1.0.3 with
segmentation violations.

The counter we used under 2.0R andd CERN http will suddenly stop working
and gen this violation error - and after a while other programs like ftpd
will start doing this.

I suspect it has something to do with opening files.  The counter
programn was so simple/basic that it wasnt checking for a successful open
of the file it keeps the count in.  All the think does is read in the
last count, incriment it, print it, and write it back to the file.  No
fancy pointer stuff, just basic simple C.

How can I determine the number of available file handles at any one
moment? (not the limit info, but the actual available counts).

Stephen Hovey shovey@buffnet.net
	      root@buffnet.net