Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:45:43 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: IA64: Back on topic

>> What can we do before there is any info on the Supervisor side of the
>> things

> Available from Intel under NDA.
                             ^^^
>> or before we even see a compiler that actuallt generates code for
>> it?

> Cygnus has one. You need to be under NDA with Intel to get it, of course.
                                       ^^^

Look at that word you used twice here.  Perhaps this has a small
effect on people's willingness to get involved with the Merced?

Look it's a bad precedent.  If the Linux guys are so gung-ho that
they can't insist on full public disclosure of programming information
then they are setting themselves up for even more headaches in the
future.  At the same time, they're helping Intel lower the minimum
boundary for acceptable vendor disclosure.

They should instead be lobbied to halt work until Intel discloses.

I hope the FreeBSD project will mostly ignore the Merced until
it works.  In this context "works" means a helluva lot more than
executing instructions.

--
Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net