Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 01:18:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Yet another Adaptec 2940UW problem :(

I recently purchased a Pentium-Pro 200 (I found back in September that
Jordan made mention of "PPRO 200Mhz and new Intel 82440fx
problems"...which is to a T the system I have), 64MB parity RAM, Adaptec
2940UW SCSI controller, 2 IBM Ultrastar 4.3GB Ultrawide SCSI drives, a Jaz
drive, IDE CD-ROM (why for god's sake I did that instead of a SCSI CD-ROM
I can't figure out ;( etc. for use as a server...and spent all day trying
to get the darn thing working with 2.1.7 FreeBSD!   If only I'd read the
archives *before* spending $5000 on a server :(

The biggest problem I had seems to be a common one with the Adaptec 2940...
reference kern/3312 and kern/1296 for adaptec 2940 "timeout while
{devicein, deviceout, idle}".  Searching through the mailing-list
archives, I found recommendations to 1) disable sync, 2) disable disconnect,
3) slow the MB/sec transfer rate, 4) disable wide negotiation, 5)turn of
"ultra" negotiation, and of course 6)check cabling,termination.  I also
formatted/verified the drives via the Adaptec BIOS SCSI-Select Utility.

I also tried adjusting the Jaz drive's MB/sec, and disabling ultra/wide
transfers as appropriate for that device while leaving the other settings
for the IBM UW drives alone....no luck.

I've done all of the above.  The server isn't even in "real" use yet and
panicked five times today during relatively light transfers.
Any suggestions on a replacement SCSI controller which works better??
Hellp!!!  I hate looking like a fool and having my employers whine about
"they should have gone with..."
--

John-David Childs (JC612)       http://www.denver.net
System Administrator            jdc@denver.net