Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:38:39 -0400
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: If I want to hook FreeBSD to a SAN ...

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Pointers to any web pages that are good for this sort of thing,
> especially as concerns FreeBSD, would be greatly appreciated ...

Not sure if is along the lines of what you need, but but a few years
back I found a company that allowed multiple machines to connec to a box
and all the machines would just see it as a SCSI device. You would
allocate how much space each attached machine could see.

What are you looking for?
Share space amongst many machines? Likely a box that supports NFS.
Have a single device where to store all the data, but not necessarily
share data amongst machines? What I describe above may be a good choice.

Also wouldn't a big raid connected to a FreeBSD machine do the trick?
Would safe you lots of money. Anything that has the letters "SAN", "NAS"
has a premiun.

Also are you looking for SAN or NAS

My understanding of those...
SAN - multiple machines attached to a device. The device just appears as
a disk. No info sharing.

NAS - multiple machines see a device and can share information. The
device supports different communication methods such as NFS, SMB, etc..