Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2007 06:53:40 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kevin Way <kevin@insidesystems.net>, Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Subject:   Re: Desired behaviour of "ifconfig -alias"

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 04:57, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Kevin Way wrote:
> =A0> Oliver Fromme wrote:
> =A0> > But you called it "confusing". =A0That's just your personal
> =A0> > perception. =A0It doesn't mean it is confusing to everybody.
> =A0> > =A0
> =A0> If asked what -alias does, would you really reply "it removes the
> =A0> primary IP,
> =A0> while leaving the alias?" =A0Be honest here.
>
> No, I wouldn't answer that, because there is no such thing
> as a primary IP. =A0All IPs on an interface are equal. =A0The
> term alias exists only for historical reasons, and it's
> clearly becoming obsolete.

my dear friend I really do not know why you insist on writing this again an=
d=20
again. Firstable it is wrong what you say. IP Aliasing is a correct and=20
perfect term, used since it is possible to set more then one IP and people=
=20
use it all over the world, in simple networks and specially in hosting=20
environments. So it probably never will become obsolete because firstable i=
t=20
is THE word in use everywhere, it is grammatically correct and it is easy t=
o=20
understand.=20

It does not exist for historical reasons. It is part of IP history and an=20
important one, exist because it is in use and so it will stay with us - in=
=20
all OSs ... and almost all languages it is understood as it is - perfectly =
by=20
definition.

The only correct thing you say here is that all IPs are equal - and - nobod=
y=20
EVER said something different.

Aliasing does not say anything about priority of the Ip it is simply relate=
d=20
to the time the interface was set with the IP so the first IP is the one=20
which was set first and the first alias is the one which was set after.

So by common sense alias describes an additional IP address which was add t=
o=20
an already existent address. Otherwise it would not be an alias.=20

This understanding, which is completely correct, makes it wrong that "ifcon=
fig=20
nic -alias" removes an IP address which is unique on this interface. At lea=
st=20
when done without warning.=20

And also makes it wrong to remove the IP which was set first on this interf=
ace=20
since it is not an alias by common understanding even if it is equal in=20
technical functions.

Then, at the end it is perfectly ok when people say primary address because=
 it=20
might be for them THE address of THEIR machine. This is manner of speaking=
=20
and they are probably fully aware of that the other IPs are equal.=20

And so this must be bethought, you can not run against common sense even if=
=20
there might be something not exactly expressed. By all respect, you are=20
running against the wall here.

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o