Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:58:20 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@tikitechnologies.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Yes, send-pr results in virus emails

  OK, on January 23 I sent in a PR from a development-only machine
using the send-pr command.  This machine happens to actually receive
mail because I'm testing mail server software on it, but I have never
used it to send mail, and I have never gotten mail on that machine
other than via sending test messages to myself.  So this address did
*not* exist in anybody's address book before I sent a PR from it, OK?

  About 8 minutes after the PR acknowledgment from GNATS I got the
first virus response of Worm/Gibe.F, originating from
cpe-138-217-67-84.vic.bigpond.net.au [138.217.67.84].  I've totalled 20
virus emails in the past few days, from around the world.  Not
horrendous, but annoying and "bad press".

  I don't think there need be any more doubt that PRs are being
forwarded to virus-infected clients.  I have no idea who to take this
up with, but I would really appreciate it if somebody could track
these folks down and unsubscribe them until they can get their
machines cleaned up.  Rather than harass all the readers with the
list, I've compiled one and I'll send it to an appropriate
administrator for the PR list when I find one.

  -- Clifton

--
          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect