Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 07:09:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Thomas H. Ptacek" <tqbf@enteract.com>
To:        proff@suburbia.net
Cc:        tqbf@enteract.com, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Critical Security Problem in 4.4BSD crt0

> Sometimes vauge hints in unrelated messages is all you get ;)

Thanks, Proff! =)

> by the time I got around to doing FreeBSD security reviews the
> problem had disappeared of its own accord.

The problem's not gone. The problem's nowhere near gone. There are tons of
2.1.5 and 2.1.6 systems on the net. As long as the distributions remain on
the FreeBSD FTP servers, they should be kept secure. A problem that
renders every single program on the system vulnerable is serious
regardless of which revision it affects.

Neh?

Thanks.

Thomas Ptacek at EnterAct, L.L.C., Chicago, IL [tqbf@enteract.com]
"I'm standing alone, I'm watching you all, I'm seeing you sinking."