Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 07:10:23 -0600
From:      Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Stefan Parvu <sparvu@cc.hut.fi>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Kathy Quinlan <katinka@magestower.com>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, N6REJ <n6rej@tcsn.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm leaving

I think the default install works very well, and there is a 'desktop
config' option in sysinstall. I don't think it should include either KDE
or gnome, though. My personal preferences are fvwm (1.24, NOT 2.0; the
config file is easier to alter) and windowmaker. Both KDE and gnome are
complex, moving targets that don't always install. Each has dozens of
dependencies. One thing I would do is to add lynx to the base install so
that the HTML docs option in sysinstall no longer requires a package
add. At the very least, we need to ensure that lynx is always on the
first CD, so it can be found without errors.

GUI would be a lot easier if we had better video card probes, but that's
always going to be another very fast-moving target. I think the present
system of /stand/sysinstall works well except for a very few problems:

* Newbie users need a clue as to WHICH CD each package is on. I think
adding one screen that shows the locations of the entire package
collection in a given release would be very appropriate.

* Add lynx, as I said above.

* remove gnome and KDE from the desktop config or separate them into a
distinct category with clear warnings.

On a different note, one more: Add 4.x-STABLE tags to the CVSup
repositories so we don't have to back out to OPTIONS to install packages
after we've started tracking STABLE.
--
Don Wilde           http://www.Silver-Lynx.com
Silver Lynx   Embedded Microsystems Architects