Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 20:26:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        fenner@research.att.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keeping using locally modified source

In article <200003042205.OAA13663@windsor.research.att.com>,
Bill Fenner  <fenner@research.att.com> wrote:

> I've got this program in my head that takes a CVS tree and turns it
> into a branch ofanother CVS tree (e.g. FreeBSD rev 1.7 turns into
> rev 1.1.1.7) but it's never managed to make it out of my head, so
> it must be harder than I keep thinking it is =)

I've had the same idea for CVSup for quite awhile but haven't gotten
around to implementing it.  It would be a new "import mode" where
the updates you fetched were "imported" onto the vendor branch of
your local repository.  It would be great for maintaining local
modifications.  I've been thinking about it for a long time and
haven't found a reason yet why it wouldn't work.

John