Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 00:30:23 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To:        Matthew Zahorik <maz@albany.net>
Subject:   Re: dc driver for embedded ethernet on Miata MX5 problems

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 06:03:39PM -0400, Matthew Zahorik wrote:
> : Is there anything special that I'm overlooking maybe? Comments from fellow
> : MX5 owners are invited as well.
>
> See bug kern/17829

Right.. I'm not alone ;-)

> There are multiple issues with this driver (in my experience) on Alpha
> hardware.  I don't know if it's limited to Alpha hardware, since I don't
> have a 21143 based PC card to try.

I have multiple cards, and 2 of my Alphas have it embedded.

> I have a 100Mb blade in my 500au, and the dc driver autoneg'd down to
> 10Mb/hdx.  Forcing it to 100Mb/fdx didn't work.

Hm. I don't own a switch, I'm using a 10/100 hub.

> I've never tried it on a 10Mb card, but with the multiple ways this driver
> is broken already, it doesn't suprise me if it doesn't work.
>
> I just compiled out the dc driver and use the de driver instead.  I

That is what I did as I could not get the dc driver to work for me.

> sacrifice full duplex operation but I get a well tested and pretty stable
> driver.  The dc driver needs some more time to mature, IMHO.

Bill is normally very interested in feedback (detailed!! feedback that is)
on his driver work. So I assume he will respond when he has time.

I think I'll file a seperate bug with my experiences as they are slightly
different.

Wilko
--
Wilko Bulte 		Powered by FreeBSD  	http://www.freebsd.org