Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 14:54:41 +0800 (HKT)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: OS/2 users going to FreeBSD?  :-)

Michael Smith writes:
> Joel N. Weber II stands accused of saying:
>>
>> OTOH, I generally prefer GNU find, since I can do something like
>> `find -name foobar' and GNU find will do the equivalent of
>> `find . -name foobar -print'.
>>
>> (I actually took the time to install GNU find in my account on a solaris
>> machine because of this...)
>
> That kinda breaks the argument syntax for find; everything before
> the path is an option, everything afterwards is the expression.  If
> you add the '.', you get the same behaviour as the BSD find.

Sure.  Remember that the word 'default' originally mean 'fault'.  What
we're talking about here is just adding a couple of sensible defaults
(path list defaults to ., action defaults to -print).  I definitely
like GNU find; it's one of the first programs I port to new platforms,
not because of these features, but because of others, in particular
-mmin and friends (like mtime and friends, but in minutes instead of
days).

Greg