Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 2009 21:07:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        cstankevitz@toyon.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating the ports collection

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Olivier Nicole wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
>> The FreeBSD handbook section 4.5.1 describes several methods for
>> obtaining the ports collection including CVSup, Portsnap, and sysinstall.
>>
>> Section 4.5.1 also describes how to update the ports collection, but
>> only for the CVSup and Portsnap methods.
>>
>> Q1: How do I update the ports collection after using sysinstall to
>> obtain it?
>
> I cannot speak for postsnap, but for cvsup:

csup works (almost?) the same as cvsup, and is in the base system
nowadays. I used to install cvsup, but now I only install fastest_cvsup;
it's just a utility to find the fastest server for you at the moment.

> Some may correct me, but I use a file that contains:
>
> *default tag=.
> *default host=cvsup2.jp.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/var/db
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> ports-all

I do the same, and run csup as:

csup -g -h `/usr/local/bin/fastest_cvsup -Q -c us` /etc/supfile.ports

...where /etc/supfile.ports is pretty much as above. In that case, it
doesn't matter what "default host" is set to, since the -h option to csup
overrides the default. The '-c us' part applies to me, but it might not
for you; see the man page.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]