Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 12:46:00 -0700
From:      Steve Carter <scarter@pobox.com>
To:        Denver Maddux <denver@nitrous.net>
Cc:        dmitry <dvk@toolbuilders.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Buying a new laptop

* Denver Maddux <denver@nitrous.net> [001201 12:29]:
> >  4) What machine would you recommend?
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 right now that I am currently having a
> love affair with.  Most everything worked right out of the box, with
> the exceptions being suspend-to-disk.  Suspend works, shutdown -p
> works, blah blah blah.  I use a limited set of pcmcia cards (waveland
> and a modem card) but they work all of the time.

I also have a Dell Inspiron 5000 and it works flawlessly and the
installation was a breeze with no real problems ... I am currently in the
process of getting an IBM T21 and a Dell Latitude C800.  I'll keep the one
I like and return the one I do not.

I do have two problems w/ the 5000 though, it uses one of those
touchscreen mouse devices and only has two buttons.  Personal preferrence
thing I know, but I prefer the IBM setup of a goober and three buttons.
If I keep the Dell I will probably use an external mouse of some kind.

I am hoping that the current IBM T21 problems are resolved or a
work-around developed so I can get a fair comparison ...

-Steve