Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:07:53 -0800
From:      Greg Rumple <grumple@zaphon.llamas.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   es1371 problems still

I posted a question a few weeks ago about a problem I am having with a
machine that has an ES1371 based PCI soundcard in it.  I have since
managed to get sound back, but have lost it again.  And would really
appreicate any help/assistance/insight anyone can provide.

I have the following card.

dmesg output
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0xef00-0xef3f irq 5 at device 15.0 on pci0

pciconf -l output
pcm0@pci0:15:0: class=0x040100 card=0x20001274 chip=0x58801274 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00

It's a SoundBlaster 16PCI card (new about a month ago).  The card plays
audio extremely slow (it's like 1/4 normal speed if I had to guess), but
it plays audio.  I have found that if I install linux on the box, load
the es1371 driver from linux on the card, and than re-install FreeBSD on
the box that it works fine.  If I than power the machine off (I lost
power for > 1 hour today, and my system shut it's self down due to my
UPS running low on power), I regain the SLOW sound problem again.

So obviously the linux driver is setting something on the card that the
BSD driver is not (I looked at the driver, the linux driver is only for
the es1371 chipset and is about 3600 lines long, the freebsd driver is
for the es1370 and es1371 and is about 900 lines long, there's QUITE a
bit of difference there, way beyond my desires of becoming a audio
driver kind of guy).

Question is does anyone have a clue?  Anyone wanna point me in a useful
direction?

Again, thanks in advance.

Greg

--