Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2014 23:30:22 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: vim and cursor-over-"chars" question

On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 13:52:26 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	how do I change the color of the cursor from green of blue to
> 	something lighter --can I have vim do it in orange?  the
> 	*original*  vi showed matching parens and braces only.

The cursor itself is controlled by the terminal emulator,
for example xterm, rxvt, Konsole, or Gnome's equivalent.
Shape, blink effect and color can be set with _that_ program.
For example, the classic xterm cursor is a black block,
but it can easily be a blinking underscore.

The following example will open an xterm with black back-
ground, grey text, and a flashing orange block cursor.

	% xterm -bg black -fg grey -cr orange +uc -bc -bcf 100 -bcn 100

See "man xterm" for details.

Of course, this is for the classic xterm; other terminal
programs are configured differently.

> 	Anybody know what to tweak in ~/.vimrc, or am I stuck?

What about "set showmatch"?

Additionally, in vim you can set the color scheme that fits
your needs. Set "syntax on" and then the scheme you find
appealing, for example "colorscheme desert". To try different
color schemes, I found it the easiest way to use gvim, select
in the menu Edit -> Color Scheme, and then pin that menu to
the desktop, so I can simply click all the entries and look
at how they look like. The final setting is then set in the
vim configuration file. The setting will then work for vim
and gvim similarly.

My gvim installation has those: blue, darkblue, default,
delek, desert, efford, evening, koehler, morning, murphy,
pablo, peachpuff, rin, shine, slate, torte, zellner.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany