Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 19:05:43 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Mike Thompson <miket@dnai.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

Mike Thompson wrote:

> This is probably a stupid question (not that it ever stopped
> me before), but is a FreeBSD system capable of running as a
> high-capacity Internet router?

Define "high-capacity."  If you mean routing 10 Fast Ethernet channels
into an ATM OC-12, the answer is "not without a lot of custom hardware
and software."  If, on the other hand, you're talking about routing an
internal network or two into a garden-variety single-point connection
to the internet, say anything up to about T3/E3, sure.  Too many
internal network interfaces may tend to swamp the system with interrupts,
but other than that, a FreeBSD router should work fine.

> I would like to run a number
> of FreeBSD servers running a web application behind a FreeBSD
> system acting as a router/firewall.  Any examples of web sites
> doing this would be great.

<plug alert=yes>
You could buy a nice network switch and use the FreeBSD machines for
what they're REALLY good at - providing services.  ;^)
</plug>