Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 2003 20:37:06 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.org, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic on 4.7-STABLE to 5.0 RC2 upgrade.

--==_Exmh_-913482538P

If memory serves me right, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Once again, 5.0-RC2 didn't have a darn thing to do with P4.  I'm also
> > unaware of any "other RC2 changes".
>
> I was under the impression that the version string carried "RC2" in
> it; I'm willing to be mistaken.  I thought there were also manual
> additions to the CDROM, such that it wasn't a pure "built from source
> tree" thing.

Ah, OK.  It sounded to me like you meant we checked out src/ and then
tweaked it a bunch (in P4 or locally) before rolling the snapshot.  For
the benefit of everyone else, it doesn't work that way.

"5.0-RC2" comes from explicitly setting the BUILDNAME variable during
"make release".  The only things that get added manually afterwards are:
1) packages and 2) the DOS utilities such as fdimage.exe.

> Arguably, for releases, there should probably be an image on the
> CDROMs that would never fit on a floppy, and has the debugger on
> it, with symbols in the kernel, to let people debug things like
> this.  I expect if that ever happens, it won't be the default
> distribution, anyway.
>
> In any case, that's what we've been telling the guy to build, in
> order to debug his upgrade problem.

Hmmmm.  It doesn't sound impossible to do, but it almost certainly won't
happen for 5.0.

For the DPs we built debug kernels on the ISO images (in addition to the
regular GENERIC kernels), but I can't remember if they fit the
requirements of what you listed above.  I remember setting a variable
for "make release" to do this, but it was otherwise automated.

Bruce.

PS.  If the original poster is still following this, 5.0-RC3 snapshots
are going to start building hopefully in the next 12 hours (awaiting an
MFC of some ata(4) fixes from sos@).

--==_Exmh_-913482538P

--==_Exmh_-913482538P--