Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 2013 21:10:50 -0700
From:      bsd-lists@hush.com
To:        "David Wolfskill" <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: When will subversion be ready for updating/upgrading src && ports?

Greetings, and thank you for your reply.

On 07/05/2013 at 9:00 PM, "David Wolfskill" <david@catwhisker.org> wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 08:38:07PM -0700, bsd-lists@hush.com wrote:
>> svn checkout svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
>>
>> I then performed a portmaster -a
>
>Prior to updating installed ports, review of ports/UPDATING is
>more than
>just a good idea.
>
>> which left me with a non-working X desktop.
>> Turned out to be a problem with the Nvidia driver -- was 2.9.40,
>now 3.10.14.
>> But loading it in loader.conf didn't create /dev/nvidia0, or
>/dev/nvidiactl
>
>I am using nvidia-driver-310.44_1 successfully.
>
>> To make a long story short, I attempted to update my src &&
>ports, and try agaiin;
>>
>> svn update svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
>> FAILED! I don't have the exact output
>
>Is /usr/ports a real directly, or a symlink?  (In my case, it is a
>symlink, so I needed to take a bit of evasive action after I
>updated svn
>to 1.8.)
>
>> So I tried:
>> cd /usr/ports
>> svn update
>> Which replied:
>> svn: E155036: Please see the 'svn upgrade' command
>> svn: E155036: The working copy at '/usr/ports'
>> is too old (format 29) to work with client version '1.8.0
>(r1490375)' (expects f
>> ormat 31). You need to upgrade the working copy first.
>>
>> So I guess subversion isn't (yet) designed for this sort of
>stuff,
>
>That's a fairly classic non sequitur.
>
>I only have logs for the last year of using SVN to perform 2
>update/build/smoke-test cycles/day for each of a couple of machines
>-- 1 set for stable/9; the other for head.  I also update the
>installed ports under stable/9 (daily).  (The two machines are my
>laptop and a "build machine.")  And then I actually use the
>resulting
>stable/9 snapshot on my laptop for day-to-day activities -- until
>the next day, when it's "lather, rinse, repeat."
>
>Then there are few machines I only update weekly.
>
>Regarding the "svn: E155036: Please see the 'svn upgrade' command
>..."
>message, that means that because you updated svn (probably from
>1.8), you need to use the "svn upgrade" command on your
>previously-created working copies in order to use the new svn
>command on
>them.
>
>> which leaves me with a useless box. :(
>>
>> Thank you for all your time, and consideration.
>
>Always set things up so you have a usable fallback.  Whether
>that's by
>making backups and restoring from them or some other mechanism,
>that's
>up to you.  (I tend to set machines up to be able to boot from
>multiple
>slices, which can be a suitable strategy, but it's certainly not
>as easy
>as falling off a log.)

My problem here, was two-fold;
1) Every time I was _ready_ to attempt the upgrade, pointyhat was failing on my ARCH (AMD64).
2) and this is the big one; I didn't have enough space to perform a reasonable backup prior.
The second reason accounted for all the anxiety I expressed on the list, this time -- sorry.

Thanks again, for the reply.

--chris